If you’d like to improve the appearance of your backside, a buttock augmentation is a popular choice.
As you research this procedure, consider these three key things to know about butt augmentation.
Options for a Butt Augmentation
We offer two options for butt augmentation. Both are safe and effective, but our team can help advise you on which one will best suit your unique situation and help achieve your goals.
- Brazilian Butt Lift – A procedure that does not require implants but uses fat from other areas of your body. During this procedure, the doctor transfers your body fat to lift the buttocks and create your desired shape.
In general, you are a good candidate for a Brazilian Butt Lift if:
- You want a buttock augmentation without implants
- You have adequate fat stores in other areas to harvest for injection into the buttocks
- You are willing and able to avoid sitting directly on your buttocks for several weeks
- Butt Implants – This procedure starts with the creation of a well-hidden incision, typically in the center of the buttocks crease (the sacrum). A pocket is then formed above, below, or within the gluteal muscle. One of our surgeons then carefully places the implant within the pocket before completing the procedure by closing the incision with sutures.
In general, you are a good candidate for butt implants if:
- You want to increase the fullness, roundness, and projection of your buttocks.
- You want to improve the balance of your figure.
- You are willing and able to avoid sitting directly on your buttocks for several weeks.
Your Shape Will Change
Even though butt implants produce immediate results, a Brazilian Butt Lift will take six months to a year for the fat transfers to settle.
Also, keep in mind that changes in weight could also affect your butt’s appearance and shape. It’s best to be at your goal weight before getting a Brazilian Butt Lift.
Be Prepared for Post-Procedure Downtime
Recovery for either procedure is important and time-intensive. Even though you may be up and walking within a couple of days after a butt augmentation procedure, you will not be allowed to put any pressure on the buttocks for several weeks. This makes sitting, lying, and sleeping challenging.
During recovery, expect these restrictions:
- You will not be allowed to sit or lie directly on your buttocks for at least 8 weeks after surgery. You will need to sleep on your stomach or side.
- You will be given a compression garment to treat the areas where the liposuction was performed. You will need to wear this garment for at least 8 weeks after surgery.
- Most patients will be allowed to resume all normal activities 8 weeks after surgery.
- Even after the first 8 weeks of recovery, patients should still avoid sitting for prolonged periods of time and should use a cushion when sitting.
- Be patient. After surgery, you’ll see a lot of bruising and swelling. It could take as long as 6 months before your body will reveal the final result. That’s all part of the healing process.
You, of course, should confirm your post-operation recovery plan with your doctor, but know going into surgery that the healing period may be long.
Find Out Which Butt Augmentation Procedure Is Right for You
Our team is committed to helping you navigate the options for butt augmentation. We want to help you get the figure you’ve been dreaming of! Butt implants or a Brazilian Butt Lift may be the right procedure to help you reach your goals.