Vaginal rejuvenation corrects the negative effects of aging and multiple pregnancies on the vagina. With aging, muscles become relaxed with poor tone, strength, and control as well as internal and external increased diameters. As a result, the vagina is no longer at its peak physiological state. Generally, vaginal rejuvenation surgery is performed but a minimally-invasive outpatient solution is laser vaginal rejuvenation. This procedure revitalizes and reconditions the vagina by reconstructing damaged muscles and tissues of the vaginal cavity.
Vaginal Rejuvenation: Procedure
RejuVAnate is a novel, painless pulsed CO2 laser vaginal rejuvenation treatment to vaginal tissues delivered through a special handpiece in a procedure that takes less than 15 minutes. There is no downtime other than 3 days vaginal “rest” post-procedure.
A series of 3 pulsed CO2 laser treatments spaced 4 weeks apart have been widely regarded optimal to stimulate the vaginal mucosa to increase collagen production, as well as to cause a thickening of the vaginal epithelium, supporting the urinary structures as well as improving dryness and the elastic stretch of the vaginal canal.
Improvement of troublesome vaginal and bladder symptoms after pulsed CO2 laser promotes a better sexuality and quality of life, especially in women who are breast cancer survivors or otherwise not candidates for estrogen therapy.
What Vaginal Rejuvenation Will Help
- Vulvovaginal Atrophy (painful intercourse, dryness, itching/irritation)
- Vaginal laxity
- Mild urinary incontinence or mild overactive bladder
How does RejuVAnate improve vaginal tightening?
RejuVAnate works via pulses of laser energy into the collagen layer of the vaginal mucus membrane, where concentrated thermal heating leads to collagen and elastin “shrinkage” and secondary regeneration, producing a tightening of the vaginal tissues.
The initial shrinkage and secondary regeneration produce improved pressure on the “G-Spot” and the clitoris. Tightening also occurs along the base of the overlying bladder, with evidence shows that it also improves the frustration of minor urinary incontinence.
The result of the treatment is the complete remodeling of the vaginal mucosa, in addition to the re-establishment of robust, more “youthful” vaginal tissue embedded with thick and long collagen fibers. Patients report a noticeable tightening of the entire vaginal canal for increased friction and pleasure during sexual intimacy.
How does RejuVAnate work?
A laser generator produces precise pulses which travel through a scanner where small, fractional beams of CO2 laser energy are delivered to vaginal tissues via a small tube-shaped handpiece. These pulses exit through a small window in a 360º pattern allowing treatment of the entire vaginal canal, leading to the overall tightening in the case of laxity, including tightening of the upper vagina, producing added support for the base of the bladder. In a different power setting, RejuVAnate may be utilized solely to stimulate collagen and elastin formation to enable a better elastic stretch of the vaginal tissues.
Who is a good candidate for this procedure? Who is not?
Candidates: Women with minimal to moderate vaginal looseness or laxity not severe enough to need a complete surgical repair but bothersome enough (less “grip,” too much “droop”) to diminish sexual pleasure and sometimes lead to modest urinary incontinence. Perfect candidates are:
- Women who have not yet had a child but either feel themselves “wide” inside or have a partner with a smaller sized penis.
- Women with laxity after childbirth who plan on another child/children and need “temporary” tightening until their final childbirth, after which they may undergo a permanent surgical solution.
- Women with mild urinary incontinence.
- Women with only modest vaginal laxity and decent musculature, who wish to avoid a surgical procedure.
- Post-menopausal women with dry, atrophic vaginal tissues.
- Women with a significant pelvic floor vaginal laxity and/or prolapse. These women need a surgical repair and will be disappointed with a solely laser procedure.
- Women with significant urinary incontinence.
- Women with very tightened, atrophic vaginas; these women will first need to undergo re-estrogenization and mild mechanical dilation in order to physically accommodate the treatment probe.
Laser vaginal rejuvenation is a highly personalized cosmetic procedure. During your consultation, Taylor Trumble, PA-C, will work with the patient to develop a treatment plan customized to the patient’s needs. Ms. Trumble concentrates on women’s wellness and feminine rejuvenation. Schedule a consultation to discuss options and learn more. To schedule, a consultation contact us or call 615-329-3900.